When do you decide it’s time to do what’s next in life? In this special edition of the podcast, we talk about what’s next with us.
This week’s Inspire Me quote is from Vincent Van Gogh:
“The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.“
Whenever we embark on a new course, we never know just what adventure we will have and what lasting effects the journey will have on us. When we ponder what’s next for our lives, it helps to take stock of what we’ve learned from our previous experience so that we move forward with the best things we’ve gained.
Leary and Armin announced that this is the final episode of the Reinventure Me podcast. In early 2017, they will be launching a brand new show called the BoldIdea® Podcast. As they look toward “what’s next” for them, they review some show highlights to share what they’ve learned from Reinventure Me.
Quotes from the show:
- “When you try new things, they can bring joys, friends, challenges, and, in many ways, show you what you are able to accomplish and help you rise up…” —Leary
- “Nothing lasts forever, and it’s not necessarily intended to. […] For me, stopping something is much, much harder than starting something.” —Leary
- “You start not with the big idea—you start with just taking and embracing the smallest form [of the idea] that gets you there and moves you along.” —Leary
- “That’s the whole idea of walking by faith, […] it’s taking that first small step. It’s crazy how fast the other steps show up [after that].” —Armin
- “That one small step [is] a test. […] You then can find out [whether] you have momentum or you have monotony.” —Leary
Our main “what’s next in life” lessons from Reinventure Me:
- Challenge yourself to be a new beginner (episode 6, “How to be a better beginner“).
- Understand the importance of minimum effective dose (episode 29, “Are you frozen in place by linear thinking?“).
- Ignore the experts about expertise (episode 26,“Do your many interests hinder your next great beginning?“; episode 120, “Why being the best isn’t good enough“).
- Choose vulnerability and authenticity (episode 124, “The art of vulnerability“).
This week’s Challenge Me:
- While we work toward “what’s next” for us, we don’t want to lose touch with you. Please join the party at boldideapodcast.com where we will notify you when we release the next podcast early next year.
Comments? Questions? Stories from your own life? Share them with us in the comments below.
Resources mentioned in or related to this podcast episode:
Armin’s favorite episodes:
- Episode 041, “How to love the life you live with guest Amanda Carroll.”
- Episode 064, “The choice between legend or legacy with guest Dr. Chuck Stecker.”
- Episode 116 “Is the best part of your life behind you? (with guest Wes Yoder).”
- Episode 126, “How to be more disciplined.”
- Episode 124, “The art of vulnerability.”
Leary’s favorite episodes:
- Episode 039, “How to create a motivated lifestyle.”
- Episode 048, “The one thing guaranteed to hold you back.”
- Episode 061, “How to find your persistent resistance.”
- Episode 099, “The wound you didn’t want can be the gift the world needs.”
- Episode 102, “The self-talk survival guide.”