Is your job driving you nuts? How do you know if that discontentment you’re feeling means it’s time to move on?
In this episode of the Reinventure Me podcast, your show hosts Leary Gates and Armin Assadi talk about the two types of discontentment. Unhealthy discontent that asks for more and healthy discontent that seeks different. There is a difference.
You know when you have unhealthy discontentment when you feel envy, jealousy or anger. Healthy discontent, on the other hand, is displayed by a loss of energy for your current job. And that’s probably because you’ve out grown it.
This episode explores three things we can do to get a handle on our unhealthy discontent:
- Recognize the change we need to make in ourselves before we can see straight to change our environment.
- Ask why the thing we desire is so important to us right now.
- Practice gratitude which sharpens our vision for our future.
And when we’ve got a dose of healthy discontent, these three strategies can help:
- Name our present situation. It helps us remember we’re not tied to our jobs.
- Acclimate to the transition. Don’t rush to make a change for change sake.
- Experiment. Try on new possibilities for realignment.
In our Challenge Me segment Leary suggested an exercise to find what roles might make for a better fit. Over the next several weeks, keep a log of the things that energize you as well as those that deplete you. Evaluating where you’re drawn over a period of time will give you a broader perspective of activities that you’re designed to do.
Finally, we ended the show asking a question: What’s the worst job you’ve ever had? Leave a comment below or call in and let us know. Strategies to detoxify from a previous employer is the subject of our next episode.
We’d love if you would you take a moment to tell a friend and to rate us on iTunes?
Other resources mentioned during this podcast:
- Johnny Paycheck, Take this Job and Shove It. (YouTube link)
- Leary Gates, Why I gave journaling another try
- Leary Gates, Discovering your perfect pitch
- The Dream Intensive workshop, February 21-22 (Minneapolis), March 14-15 (Denver)
Ways to get involved:
- Leave a review for this show on iTunes and/or Stitcher Radio.
- Leave a comment or question below.
- Share this post with others in your network:
We look forward to hearing from you!
2 thoughts on “002 Is it time to give your job a shove?”
Congrats on a subject that needs full attention. Your real life experience to the subject lends much credibility that others may learn. Seeking what we are called to do as a profession is a life long mission to becoming a fully devoted follower of Christ.
This podcast was just what I needed to hear today! Thank you!!!