It’s one thing to get motivated to do something. But how do you create a motivated lifestyle—one of consistent day-to-day motivation? Four habits can help.
This episode’s Inspire Me quote is from Mr. Motivation, Zig Ziglar:
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily.”
Daily motivation. What does it take to create a lifestyle of daily motivation?
What do those who have a motivated lifestyle have in common? Leary and Armin discuss three things:
- They have a bias toward action. They know they learn by moving and taking risk. As Henri Bergson said, “Think like a man of action. Act like a man of thought.”
- They are creative not merely reactive. They think about what they are to create today not just how to react to the day’s circumstances.
- They are infectious to cause others to act. They inspire others to take action.
Creating a lifestyle of motivation requires creating habits (see episode 21). There are many that can create a motivation lifestyle, but here are four; two habits of thought and two habits of action:
- Believe that not only CAN you make a contribution but that you MUST. You are part of something bigger, an ecosystem, and your being in the game makes a difference.
- View change as your ally. Do you view change as an opportunity to learn or as a threat? Those with a learning mindset embrace change as an ally to growth. Without that mindset (see episode 4), you’ll spend energy trying to validate yourself. Every day ask yourself, “What did I learn today?”
- Intentionally surround yourself with motivated people. Motivated people are much more likely to encourage you and you’re more likely to mimic them.
- Just do something. Anything. Action begets action and momentum to do the next thing. Review episode 20 on productivity tips.
The Challenge Me for this episode is to focus on one of the habit suggestions for a week. Report your results on our website show notes at reinventure.me.
Resources mentioned or related to this podcast that may be helpful to you:
- How your mindset affects your next great beginning, Episode 4 of Reinventure Me discusses mindset and why you should praise efforts and not results
- How to get unstuck and help others get unstuck, Episode 13 of Reinventure Me discusses what you can do if you are chronically unmotivated
- Three strategies to supercharge your productivity, Episode 20 of Reinventure Me discusses ways to boost your productivity
- How to create habits for your next great beginning, Episode 21 of Reinventure Me discusses how to create habits