What’s the worst job you’ve ever had? How did it affect you? Even good jobs might leave us in need of a little repair.
In this episode of the Reinventure Me podcast, your show hosts Leary Gates and Armin Assadi discuss what makes a job toxic and five strategies you can take to detoxify:
- Stop asking the “Why?” question; and why that actually adds more toxins to our thinking
- Practice truth telling especially when coming out of dysfunctional situations
- Engage your community to intentionally help you move forward.
- Rediscover your purpose through reflection, prayer and experimentation.
- Own your own stuff by taking responsibility for your actions and future.
The Inspire Me segment quote was from Mike Mason (Practicing the Presence of People, Waterbrook Press, 1999):
“The goal of Christian spirituality is not to feel good but to fight well.”
In the Challenge Me segment Leary asked, What’s your dashboard light? That’s your personal indicator that something’s amiss. It may be that you get more easily angered, or quiet, or you lose your sense of humor. Knowing our personal dashboard lights can help us recognize more quickly when we are in a toxic environment.
We hope you enjoyed this episode. In our next episode we’ll be discussing why having a growth mindset is vitally important to finding your next great beginning. If you have a question or comment, please leave it below or call in from our home page.
Would you also take a moment to tell a friend and to rate us on iTunes?
Resources mentioned or related to this podcast that may be helpful to you:
- Redneck Mother, Ray Wylie Hubbard (coarse lyrics)
- Leaving your old employer? Five tips to detoxify, Leary Gates (background on the five strategies mentioned in this show)
- Did you just hit a pothole?, Leary Gates (why asking “why” is not so helpful)
- The Dream Intensive workshop, February 21-22 (Minneapolis), March 14-15 (Denver)